Sunday, July 14, 2013

Acne, blotchy-ness, redness, & dry spots Part III


And so, this little series comes to an end. For the third part of these skin concerns I want to focus a little more on makeup and not skin care. Today I am going to talk about two products that are helpful for me when I have these skin concerns (or even when I do not): mineral foundation (specifically loose powder but there are other forms) and bronzer. I want to preface this with the statement that I know not all of these products will work for everyone nor will these routines. I am trying to get sort of a broad-base perspective. If you would like some specific suggestions, please feel free to ask me or check out some of the apps I talked about in my last post, do research on other websites, etc. 

Here are some mineral foundations that I like:

1) Physicians Formula Mineral Wear: I am always impressed with Physicians Formula products. I like this one because it is inexpensive and does not make my skin look weird or get oily. I think mineral powder lets you have great, buildable coverage and it is good for any skin type. Not all kinds work for all skin types, though. I have combination skin and this works really well for me. I have sensitive skin and this is hypoallergenic, which is a huge plus for me as well. You can buy this at pretty much any drug store and Walmart. They also have some with SPF, but I have not seen it in stores. I also have not looked that hard so I am sure it is there since it is online. There are 9 colors.

2) bareMinerals Foundation: This mineral foundation has its ups and downs for me. I do not like how 'heavy' the coverage is on me. I looks pretty but it makes me feel like a, dare I say it, cake face. That is definitely not suiting for me. I like the matte version much better because when I use the regular version my skin is oily by the end of the day. One thing I really like about this though is that it has broad spectrum SPF 15 in it. It is still ideal to use a moisturizer with SPF in it as well, and do touch-ups as needed. It is a little expensive but a little goes a long way. I will say that I like a lot of their products in general, as well. bareMinerals is sold online, in stores, and in salons. It is pretty accessible and there are 20 colors. 

3) Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation: This is what I am using at moment, in Ivory 2. I love the coverage with this one. Not too much, not too little. It is not a matte powder but it definitely controls my oil (like Physicians Formula does, but maybe a tiny bit better). They do not make a foundation with SPF but they do have a foundation primer (SPF 15) and tinted moisturizer (SPF 20) with sunscreen.  Price-wise it is in between the bareMinerals and the Physicians Formula. This has 12 colors. 

Okay so there are a TON more mineral foundations but there are some to get you started. Now on to the bronzers...

1) Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips: See? I told you I love this brand. This is what I am using right now. It is great because it has a gradient of colors so you can go darker or lighter, depending on your skin tone and what you're going for. You can also use this as an eyeshadow, which I love. It works well as eyeshadow and it is great for traveling if you are not trying to take too many products with you. They have a lot of different kinds of bronzers and even different colors in this specific style. I use the Waikiki Strip/Peachy Glow Bronzer right now.

2) Too Faced Endless Summer 16+ Hour Bronzer: I have actually not tried this one but it gets awesome reviews everywhere. I have looked at a lot of 'best bronzer' articles and it is named in almost every one, as well. There is only one color in this, so it will not fit every skin tone I am sure. That is one thing to remember with bronzers: it is important to go with one that compliments the shade and tone of your skin. A bonus to this product is that it is long-lasting and cruelty-free. It says that it has buildable coverage, which is something that is really important for me. Simple and natural. 

Let me know what you use or if you would like a suggestion for you skin tone. Or any other thoughts, comments, or suggestions. This wraps up this three-part skin series! What should I cover next?

Ciao, bellas!

gretchen elizabeth

Please note, I am not paid to do these reviews nor am I doing this for the benefit of any company. It is just my own personal opinions, experiences, likes and dislikes!

1 comment:

  1. Should there be another persuasive post you can share next time, I’ll be surely waiting for it. Manchas na Pele

    ReplyDelete